Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Favorite Inks: Noodler's Ottoman Rose

You know, there's just something about Noodler's.

Other than Apple, I can hardly think of a company that polarizes people more. Some of the debates I've seen online nearly reach the level of conflict that discussing politics or religion is likely to engender (two things, by the way, that mother always said weren't good topics of general conversation at a cocktail party).

So let me just say this, at risk of my hair catching fire: I am not a big Noodler's fan.

My reasons are more empirical than emotional. I do not find the products consistent or reliable enough for me to be comfortable recommending the brand as a whole. (Not to incite a riot, but for those who may find this statement offensive, try looking at Blue Nose Bear reviews,or many of the comments regarding the flex pens, and even the new Ahabs in terms of start-right-up reliability. Or not.)

That being said, there are certain inks in the Noodler's line that I really like. And Ottoman Rose is one of them.

I love the not-quite-red, not-quite-pink color. I love the shading properties. And it behaves itself quite nicely, thank you. All things that I like in an ink.

Here's a review for you of this very fun ink. Grab some for yourself; you'll see what I mean!



(Image is clickable. The usual disclaimers apply: this is a color-corrected image, and looks a perfect match on my color-corrected monitor, but Your Monitor May Vary. If you are intent on a certain color, please try a sample first to avoid possible disappointment.)

7 comments:

  1. I'm basically a fan of Noodler's, but there are some that work better than others and the variety of properties is a bit overwhelming at first. The saving grace to me was finding GouletPens.com because they sell ink samples. Well, the saving grace for me concerning lots of other ink brands, too. I have never had to buy a bottle of ink I later regret since I ran across their online store. And I do like the look of your Ottoman Rose. Might have to try a sample of that one. :)

    PS
    I bought a Noodler's flex pen and was very disappointed. Not that I know much about pens that flex. It wrote okay, but I couldn't get the hang of the flex part and it wasn't easy to do. Wrote fine just normally--BUT--the ink would totally evaporate in a matter of about a week! So, unless you used it exclusively and regularly...well, to me, it's like pouring ink down the toilet. Maybe the Ahab is better (heard it doesn't have the air hole), but I'm afraid to try it if it will just hold more ink to evaporate.

    You aren't the only one with unpopular opinions about Noodler's--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree samples are the way to go, especially if you're unsure of a color. There's nothing like getting your hands on the ink to know if it will really do what you want it to!

      And in re: the flex pens: suffice to say that I know *exactly* what you mean!

      Delete
  2. It is a nice color!! A perfect cross of pink and red! Plus, your pretty writing makes it look even better ;) I'll add it to my list of inks to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Azizah! Although I'm not sure I'd characterize my handwriting as "pretty".... :D!

      Delete
  3. That is pretty. It reminds me of PR Arabian Rose. Do you have that one? Great review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rori, it's actually quite different; both of these inks were in the February 2011 Ink Drop, and there's a review of that in my blog archives, here: http://penfatness.blogspot.com/2011/02/ink-drop-february-2011.html

      Sorry, I'm too stupid to figure out how to link to it in the comment...!

      Delete
  4. Oh I almost bought the Ottoman Rose the other day! I got PR Arabian Rose instead, and it's a beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete